Personal Training Certificate
Certificate Program 37 semester credits
Graduates are prepared for positions at gyms and health facilities, including hospitals, or may establish private practices.
Graduates are awarded a certificate as authorized by the New York State Board of Regents.
Students completing this program are eligible to enroll in the Swedish Institute Advanced Personal Training degree program.
Personal Training Certification: The Personal Training certificate program coursework meets the standards for the knowledge, skills, and abilities set forth for by the American Council on Excercise (ACE).
- Apply knowledge of bioscience and personal training techniques to certification examinations and the entry-level practice of personal training in a variety of healthcare and wellness settings;
- Practice within legal, ethical and professional standards as defined by the governing bodies for professional practice;
- Assess clients holistically and develop appropriate evidence-based, client-centered training plans;
- Work collaboratively and communicate effectively with healthcare workers, athletic trainers, colleagues, clients and their families;
- Apply critical thinking and ethical reasoning skills in decision-making situations;
- Promote wellness practices and a healthy lifestyle for clients and engage in effective self-care to promote health and career longevity.
Degree vs. Certificate
Swedish Institute students can choose a certificate program or differentiate themselves with our Advanced Personal Training Associate’s Degree.
Depending on your previous business experience and the highest degree you may have earned, you can choose from our certificate or degree programs in Personal Training. Students may begin by registering for the certificate program and then may decide to complete their degree once in the field.
We understand that our students may already be working, and be busy with personal commitments. We offer morning, afternoon and evening course hours as well as full and part-time schedules that provide you with the flexibility to prepare for this career while attending to your other responsibilities.
Which Personal Training Program is right for you?
|APT Degree||PT Certificate|
|Heart Rate/Biometric device|
|CPR & AED with First Aid|
|Supervised Training Clinic|
|Internship at Outside Facility|
|Advanced Nutrition and Psychology Courses|
|General Education (Math and English) Courses|
|Potential 4-year Degree Transfer*|
|NSCA Test Prep Symposium|
|NSCA C-PT Exam|
|Specialty Certificates (kettlebells, suspension, self-myofascial, release/recover, sandbags, other)|