Medical Billing and Coding
Certificate Program 48 Quarter credits
The Medical Billing and Coding (MBC) program at Swedish Institute is designed to provide students with the appropriate didactic theory and skills required to begin a career in a billing office administration and management within a health care setting. The courses are grouped around knowledge and skills required for a medical biller and insurance claims specialist role in a medical practice. The program should also prepare students for responsibilities including insurance, coding, processing, medical administrative procedures and regulatory requirements of the health care delivery system. Courses are not necessarily offered in the sequences in which they appear in the catalog.
At the completion of the program, graduates who have diligently attended class, studied, and practiced their skills should have the necessary skills to seek entry-level employment as a medical biller, an insurance claims specialist and in an office administrative role in a medical setting.
Graduates will be able to:
- Describe the major roles and responsibilities of a medical biller and coder.
- Exhibit the knowledge of health care delivery systems.
- Explain the professional, ethical, legal responsibilities of a healthcare specialist
- Apply office management skills to healthcare facilities
- Demonstrate the ability to integrate office software applications in order to complete medical practice assignments
- Demonstrate the knowledge of the ICD-9-CM/ICD-10-CM manuals, V codes, E codes and CPT manual and coding guidelines.
- Demonstrate an understanding of payment posting and problem-solving techniques for insurance claims.
- Utilize electronic healthcare records, and maintain the confidentiality and security of patient information
- Utilize information technology to complete office scheduling, medical billing, and records management
- Perform routine office procedures in an efficient and professional manner
- Demonstrate basic knowledge and skill in diagnostic and procedure coding
- Demonstrate routine and specialized procedures used in billing and insurance processing in a variety of healthcare settings
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and nonverbally, and in an appropriate manner within the workplace.