Advanced Personal Training Degree
Associate in Occupational Studies Degree Program 62 semester credits
The Advanced Personal Training program gives students the skills they need to enter the field of fitness training and the foundation for future study in the exercise sciences. The program is characterized by rigorous study in anatomy, physiology, pathology, kinesiology and the biomechanics of exercise. From this foundation, students learn to assess the physical condition of a client, design a training program and evaluate progress. Students also learn to integrate nutrition and general wellness practices into the training program and to deal with special populations including the elderly and disabled. Students practice their skills in the college’s own functional training facility as well as at a variety of internship experiences. Courses in ethics and professionalism and in managing a personal training business prepare students for their future careers.
Graduates are prepared for positions at gyms and health facilities, including hospitals, or may establish private practices.
Graduates are awarded an Associate in Occupational Studies degree (AOS) as authorized by the New York State Board of Regents.
The Advanced Personal Training program coursework meets the standards for the knowledge, skills, and abilities set forth for certification by professional organizations such as the American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM), the National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA), and the National College of Sports and Fitness (NCSF).
For successfully meeting established criteria, the National Strength and Conditioning Association officially recognize Swedish Institute’s Program in Personal Training.
- Apply knowledge of bioscience and personal training techniques to certification examinations and the entry-level practice of personal training in a variety of healthcare and wellness settings;
- Practice within legal, ethical and professional standards as defined by the governing bodies for professional practice;
- Assess clients holistically and develop appropriate evidence-based, client-centered training plans;
- Work collaboratively and communicate effectively with healthcare workers, athletic trainers, colleagues, clients and their families;
- Apply critical thinking and ethical reasoning skills in decision-making situations;
- Promote wellness practices and a healthy lifestyle for clients and engage in effective self-care to promote health and career longevity.
Degree vs. Certificate
Swedish Institute students can choose a certificate program or differentiate themselves with our Advanced Personal Training Associate’s Degree.
Depending on your previous business experience and the highest degree you may have earned, you can choose from our certificate or degree programs in Personal Training. Students may begin by registering for the certificate program and then may decide to complete their degree once in the field.
We understand that our students may already be working, and be busy with personal commitments. We offer morning, afternoon and evening course hours as well as full and part-time schedules that provide you with the flexibility to prepare for this career while attending to your other responsibilities.
Which Personal Training Program is right for you?
|APT Degree||PT Certificate|
|Heart Rate/Biometric device|
|CPR & AED with First Aid|
|Supervised Training Clinic|
|Internship at Outside Facility|
|Advanced Nutrition and Psychology Courses|
|General Education (Math and English) Courses|
|Potential 4-year Degree Transfer*|
|NSCA Test Prep Symposium|
|NSCA C-PT Exam|
|Specialty Certificates (kettlebells, suspension, self-myofascial, release/recover, sandbags, other)|