THIS NOTICE DESCRIBES HOW MEDICAL INFORMATION ABOUT CLIENTS AT OUR CLINICS MAY BE USED AND DISCLOSED AND HOW TO GET ACCESS TO THIS INFORMATION. IF YOU ARE A CLIENT OR PROSPECTIVE CLIENT, PLEASE REVIEW IT CAREFULLY.
Our Clinics have always been dedicated to providing treatment with respect for client confidentiality. Protecting your privacy and healthcare information is fundamental in the course of our relationship. As required by law, we will maintain the privacy and confidentiality of your protected health information and are providing you with a notice of our legal duties and privacy practices with respect to your protected health information.
Disclosure of Your Health Care Information
We may disclose your health care information to other healthcare professionals who are associated with the P.H. Ling Clinic for the purpose of treatment, payment or healthcare operations. For example, on occasion, it may be necessary to seek consultation regarding your condition from other health care providers within our practice.
It is our policy to provide a substitute Clinical Intern authorized by the Clinic to provide assessment and/or treatment to our patients, without advanced notice, in the event of absence of your regularly-assigned therapist.
Please be advised that, on occasion, healthcare information may be inadvertently disclosed in the process of consultation and treatment.
We may disclose your health information as necessary to comply with State Workers’ Compensation Laws.
We may disclose your health information to notify or assist in notifying a family member, or another person responsible for your care, about your medical condition in the event of a medical emergency.
As Required By Law
This office may use or disclose your protected health information when required by law.
Acceptance into the Clinic from the Waiting List & Missed Clinic Appointments
If you have been placed on the waiting list and are subsequently accepted into the Clinic, we may call your home to confirm acceptance. We may also call your home if you have missed a clinic appointment without notification, or have missed several appointments, with or without notification. If you are not at home, we will leave a message on your answering machine or with the person answering the phone. No personal health information will be disclosed during this recording or message other than the date and time of the scheduled appointment(s) and a request that you contact us.
A brochure and application will be mailed to you for each upcoming clinic series. If you are accepted to the clinic, a confirmation will be mailed to you. If you are not accepted to the clinic, the information which you mailed to us will be returned to you. All of these communications will be made to the address we have on record.
We may disclose your health information to researchers conducting research that has been approved by an Institutional Review Board.
Change of Ownership
In the event that the Clinic at the Swedish Institute is sold or merged with another organization, your health information/record will become the property of the new owner.
Your Health Information Rights
- You have the right to request restrictions on certain uses and disclosures of your health information. Please be advised, however, that we are not required to agree to the restriction that you requested.
- You have the right to have your health information received or communicated through an alternative method or sent to an alternative location other than the usual method of communication or delivery, upon your request.
- You have the right to inspect and copy your health information.
- You have a right to request that we amend your protected health information. Please be advised, however, that we are not required to agree to amend your protected health information. If your request to amend your health information has been denied, you will be provided with an explanation of our denial reason(s) and information about how you can disagree with the denial.
- You have a right to receive an accounting of disclosures of your protected health information made by the Clinic.
- You have a right to a paper copy of this Notice of Privacy Practices upon request.
Changes to this Notice of Privacy Practices
We reserve the right to amend this Notice of Privacy Practices at any time in the future, and will make the new provisions effective for all information that it maintains. Until such amendment is made, the Clinics at the Swedish Institute are required by law to comply with this Notice.
Complaints & Questions
Complaints or questions about your privacy rights, or how the Clinic has handled your health information should be directed to the Privacy Officer, Ericka Clinton, by calling this office at 212-924-5900 x135. If Ericka Clinton is not available, you may make an appointment for a conference in person or by telephone within 5 working days.
If you are not satisfied with the manner in which this office handles your complaint, you may submit a formal complaint to:
DHHS, Office of Civil Rights
200 Independence Avenue, S.W.
Room 509F HHH Building
Washington, DC 20201
This notice is effective as of May 5, 2009. This notice will remain in effect until it is replaced or amended by law.